Friday, January 16, 2009

The Coldest Week in recent history

Marsha and I did a long run last Sunday, 9 for her 16 for me. I almost never take more than 2 days in row off but it was very cold this week so I just put it off day after day, then it was Friday and no running for 4 days in a row. It was -9 when we left the house this morning and headed out for the Medina Rec Center. I do have a treadmill in the living room but I don't like it much so we figured we'd run laps at the rec. We did 3 miles at about a 8:30 - 9:00 minute pace but I didn't like that either, 10 laps per mile, too many people and to warm. We stopped 2 times to get a drink and I drank all 20 ounces of water I brought and got overheated and slightly dizzy. We then went for a swim in the pool, did some laps in the mini pool with a strong current and sat in the hot tub for a few. Total time at the rec, 1 hour 30 minutes. Not worth the 14 bucks it would cost for 2 non members but Marsha won a 10 dollar gift certificate that was going to expire in Feb. so it was quite a deal for 4 bucks. We may go back someday if we have another really long stretch of cold weather but I would rather run outside in the mid teens than run inside again. It's still single digits today but going up to 19 and 23 Sunday. We'll do another long run on Sunday. Made my final decision last night and signed up for the Last Chance for Boston Marathon last night. It's Feb. 15 in Dublin. That week is Marsha's 11 mile run week and she will be joining me in the marathon for the last 10-11 miles to keep me going strong. A new friend may also be joining us so she can help us both. 6 weeks til March..................................................

1 comment:

Dan D. said...

What time on Sunday were you planning on going out? And where were you thinking of going? I'm taking today off but plan on doing something long outside tomorrow. I'm just hesitant to plow through the snow again or to get caught in a lot of traffic. I was thinking of going out early tomorrow morning before everyone else was up and about. But I'm not set on that yet.