Sunday, November 29, 2009

OBX Thanksgiving 2009

We spent the entire Thanksgiving week in the Outer Banks at our resort Ocean Villas. We usually spend the whole week walking on the beach, running, movies and fires at night. On the second day there Marsha and I were getting ready to head out for a 13 mile run when I bent over to tie my second shoe when I pulled something in my back, run was cancelled for the time being. Later that day I did head out for a 3 mile run and surprisingly running didn't hurt if I went slow but sleeping in the extra soft bed was very hard on my back, tried a couple nights on a air mattress then another night on the floor which lasted til about 4 am when I finally went back to the super soft bed. I did go see a chiro in the Outer Banks but his adjustments didn't seem to help much. Thanksgiving morning we were to run the Outer Bans Gobbler 5k and that was supposed to be Kyle and I's big showdown but his knees were bugging him and I was in no shape to run fast so we paced Marsha for the first 2 miles then we took off to pass as many people as we could in the last miles finishing in 23:15 with a 6:45 last mile. Kyle was the 2nd under 18 year old across the line so he won a small apple pie. This was more of a fun run with no results and you got your own time when you passed the clock.I ran every day on this trip but only one 10 miler with Marsha and the 6 plus miles on Turkey day and all the others were quick 3 mile runs. The drive home was the toughest part of the whole trip, no matter how I sat my back was killing me, I drove for 3 hours but it was even worse in the drivers seat so Marsha drove for over 7 hours on the way home. Three hours after we got home we headed to the bowling alley where I had a hard time throwing the ball but I bowled anyways and shot 581. We then headed to Walmart to get some groceries and got home and being totally exhausted from our long day went to sleep. I got up Sunday morning and still was a little sore but just one night back in our sleep number bed and I was feeling better. 11:00 was our group run and this run felt better than any all week, Marsha, Charles Janet, Jeannine and I ran this run but Charles and Janet cut out at 7 miles as Charles is still having problems since Nashville and Janet was struggling a bit. We went on and hit 11 miles just before getting back home. Today was my 29th run of the month and after tomorrows run I will have run every day of November and if I get in my 6.5 miles tomorrow I will have 230 miles for the month and a new record for a single month. Then a couple days off with the Ashland Half marathon next weekend.

No comments: