Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Bill's Bad Ass 50K Nov. 14, 2009

About 6 -8 weeks ago Chef Bill posted to quite a few people "are you a bad ass" and that is how he announced the 50k they were planning. I put maybe on his site because I told Bill I was running Columbus and Niagara Marathons just 2 and 3 weeks before this race. I wanted to do this race but sort of set it aside and forgot about it til Dan saw it days before the race and I checked in with Chef Bill and he told us to come. The weather was unbelievable, a little chilly to start the day but it warmed up quick, shorts and a tee all day (gloves too for most of the day). There looked to be somewhere between 75 and a 100 people at the start but only 44 bad ass's finished by the results Bill posted, waiting to see the candy ass list to see total of all runners. This race was held entirely on the Perkins loop in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park not far from lock 29 where we run sometimes. The first 2 plus miles was a hilly gradual climb that we mostly walked the hills every loop and it was still tough, the last half was of course coming back down and much easier except the steep down hill that we also walked almost every lap. There were also several water crossing that were all easy due to no rain lately, not exactly what these ultra runners were hoping for, Bill wanted rain, mud, cold, wind and more horse do do on the trail but it was a beautiful day and dry so I can only imagine what this would have been like on a bad day. Marsha came out and joined us for the last 5 mile loop and the final mile up the stairs which was also a tough finish but I had a couple weeks of recovery from my last marathon and was feeling rather well. It was a fun day running with Dan as we always seem to get the nice weather when we head for the trails, our recent Facebook blog was funny as Dan wrote he was having an affair with trail running and I posted "oh you doing her too" and we had a bunch of funny comments from there with Dan's friend Dee making comments and she had me laughing alot. Novembers goal is to run every single day so the day after the 50k I ran 7 more miles and felt really good. It will be a record month and record weeks are coming too. 18 for 18 so far and we will be heading to the OBX soon for the big duel between Kyle and I.

No comments: