Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Blue Line Training Run 9/05/09

It felt like a race morning, maybe knowing I was going to try for 31 miles didn't help, we were to meet and leave Medina at 5:30 am, so I could get up just before 5 but I was up around 3, then 3:30 and finally up for good around 4. We had quite a large turn out from the Medina area, maybe somewhere in the range of 15 people, our group picture did not include everyone as some people arrived later. We took off just a little after 6:30 in a group of I'd say well over 100 people. One minute into this run someone says my name and I don't recognize her with her hat and sunglasses but it was Marshas friend from work Jen. I ran with her the first 2 miles then pulled ahead to catch up with Frank, then ended up talking to a guy that remembered following Dan H, Rachel and I at the Heart and Sole 2 weeks earlier and he was telling me how he stayed with us for quite awhile but then we disappeared around mile 6, I thought that was quite funny because that is right about where Rachel turned on the speed in that race. Then I left to try and catch up with Frank again, we ended up fight behind Marsha and group and she was quite surprised that I was still behind her as she thought I was way out in front. We ran ahead and Chuck had dropped back to find me as we were to pick up the pace a little after 4-5 miles. Our groups were spread out pretty good, Chuck, Tom Wolke, Frank and I ran together mostly after mile 4 splitting for a short while then Frank and Tom caught back up. We were nearing the last 2 miles and it was somewhat down hill so Tom and I picked up the pace considerably nearing 7 minute miles the last 2 which I now regret as the leg got sore right after heading back out to attempt our 31 for the day. Nearing the very end of the 19+ miles I see Dan H. and Dan D. so I kept speeding ahead to catch them right near the end of the run. We took a 5-10 minute break for fluids and a quick shoe change and we (Frank, Chuck and I) headed back out going through a bad section of town looking for the new bridge over water that I had seen in the Beacon Journal last week. We found it, took a few pictures and headed back but my leg was very sore so I decided to end my run with Frank and let Chuck go on for our goal of 31 w/o me. Frank and I kept going all the way down to the end of the Blue line right at the back door of Canal Park and then back up the hill to hit our full 26.2 miles for the day. Chuck made it to 31. Good job on the longest training run ever Chuck.

No comments: