Sunday, September 20, 2009

Akron Marathon Countdown

I have been fighting this leg problem for over a month but this weekend I think I finally kicked it. I ran 11 miles Saturday morning. 10 of it with Jeannine, Janet and Roseann at 5:30 am again. This time though I finished and no leg pain. Sunday was the Race for Grace 5k that is part of the Subway Challenge series that Marsha and I signed up for a month ago and Marsha ended up doing a 22 miler instead but I went to run. I promised to take it easy because I still had this worry that the leg thing would come right back like it did last weekend. BUT it didn't. I got to the race about 45 minutes before the start so Frank, Dan H., Bob, Connie and I could run the course as our warm up. I was well warmed up and Dan and I went out and a nice pace and hit mile 1 right at 7 minutes and mile 2 at 13:30, finishing this race in 20:38 on a hilly course but feeling better than I normally do. Explain that and with a good time, finished in 20th out of well more than 400 runners and 3rd in my age group. We all ran the course for a 3rd time for our cool down and people just seemed amazed that we would do that, it's nice to have made all these great friends through running and it seems that their bug has infected me. 9.3 miles in the morning then another 4 in the afternoon, 1/2 with Jeannine and Janet again for a total of 13.3 for the day with 5 + days til the Akron Marathon where I will be pacing Jeannine for the whole 26.2 miles in under 4:11. Then 1 week to go til the Biggest running event for me so far. One other quick note, Saturday night was the first night of our mixed couples bowling league and Frank and Jill Dwyer have joined our team this year and what a show off I got to be. Game one of the season turned out to be almost perfection with a 299 to start and a 770 series and a unmakeable average of 257 in 2 weeks.

1 comment:

Clifford Running said...

Oh and Marsha also got to be a show off shooting 220, 180 and 184 for a 584 series and a 194 average. We are gonna be getting our butts kicked for weeks.