Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Louisville YMCA 10k Saturday June 13, 2009

I'm not a fan of 10k's but the Subway series picnic was right after the race so we ran it. Kyle was not ready for a 10k but they also had a 2 mile race so he went with us. There were 144 runners in the 2 mile race and I decided I would run Kyle in the last 1/2 mile or so for a warm up before our race. I ran out and was happily surprised that Kyle was the 6th runner I came to going out on the course, I turned around and he had 2 people just in front of him, we passed the first one with ease but the end was nearing and we didn't quite catch the other guy but were gaining til the end with Kyle finishing 5th of the 144 in 13:55. 2nd in his age group. Our race was about to begin and I see a guy in my age group that I beat by 1 second a week earlier and we get to talking and have the same goal in mind for today so we paced off each other the whole race with him beating me by a single second this week in 43:40 or so. I placed 3rd in our age group right behind him. Kyle and I ran Marsha in and she placed 2nd in her age group with a 51:59. I was 21st across the line and Marsha was about mid 60's out of a 185 runners. A note for next year, skip this race, to many turns and hills plus an hour drive.
Sunday we had a group run planned at McDonalds at 10:00. 4-6 ladies and Pete, me and a new MCRR member for the guys, we ran 8.4 miles at an 8:05 pace which was a little faster than I would have liked but Pete led the way as the new guy and I talked behind him most of the 8 miles.
Rest day on Monday and Speedwork Tuesday. Tonight we did 6 800's at 2:56 to 3:20 with the majority at 3:08. Dan H., Frank and I did this while Marsha, Kyle and Janet did 4 400's and Kyle added an 800 also. Patrick and buddy doing way faster laps but at least we weren't puking at the end Patrick. Bob and Suzanne there also but Bob is tapering for the up coming Mochican 100 this weekend that I will be joining him in for the last 25 miles. He'll have run 75 MILES when I join him and he stills plans to be running a 9 minute pace the last 25. WOW. I hope I can be some help to him on those last 25 as half of it will be in the dark.

No comments: