Monday, March 15, 2010

St. Malachi 2 and 5 mile 3/13/2010

I ran my PR marathon time 2 weeks ago and my second 50k also a PR a week ago and was a bit tired all week and wasn't going to make a decision on this last weekend til the Thursday. I knew racing would be hard after the previous 2 weekends but I felt pretty good after a pace run on Thursday night so I decided to run St. Malachi with Jeannine and Janet but when I went to sign up I missed the deadline for online registration by less than 12 hours so now the price goes from 17 to 25 race day, easy decision for me. I, in the back of my mind knew I should not race but I don't listen to that voice but this helped me come to decide I should not race but I still decided to go and pace Jeannine in the 2 mile and run the 5 mile for fun. We got a little lost and and thought we may miss the start of the race but we got there with time to spare. There were 1252 runners in the 2 mile race and we started near the front, hit mile 1 right about 7 minutes and I had told JN that she needed to break 14:30 before I decided to pace her so we were ahead of schedule and were passing people most of the race and coming into the finish we were chasing a guy that looked like a body builder with a long pony tail, I kept telling JN we couldn't let this guy beat us, he did but not by much, we finished in 14:05 with Jeannine coming in 26th overall out of the 1252 runners and 2nd in the 19 and over age group. Her award is being mailed to her as we didn't think to hang around for the awards plus there were over 3000 people at this race. Janet finished in just over 16 minutes. Then we were going to run the 5 mile for fun and JN was running it with a friend from school. We had to wait for her friend to get her bib from her brother in law and we missed the start of the race by 10 minutes and weren't even sure where to turn as we went out to run the course. Soon after we took off we caught the tail end of the race and passed many as we jogged the entire course in 47 minutes. Janet and I ran about 30 yds. behind Jn and her friend and during the race saw a few others running the race, saw Bob, Connie, Patrick and later found out Jean B. was there also. It was fun to run in a race as a bandit and pacer and not have to give it my all but still get a good run in.

No comments: