Monday, April 27, 2009

Country Music Marathon - Nashville, TN - April 25, 2009



Well, to say the least I didn't accomplish what I wanted to. But, we had a wonderful weekend! Ladd and I got to spend lots of time together, celebrating our anniversary a month early. A highlight of the weekend was when I got to meet Denise Austin at the Expo.



The temps skyrocketed to near 90 on race day and that really took a toll on me. My heart started palpitating at around 18 miles, and the chest pains were intense! I tried walking it off, but couldn't get it to stop. We walked and ran the last 6-8 miles (15 minutes each for miles 24 & 25....) I ran the last 1/2 mile to the finish line where Ladd led me accross the finish line and into the medical tent where they worked hard to get my core temp and heart rate (pulse was at 120) down, I was out of it, but Ladd says it was quite a scary site, people icing and sponging me down, dumping salt in my mouth, etc. I was fine after 30 minutes in the tent.

I am fine! I had no leg pains, and will try again soon, maybe June in Minnesota at Grandmas with Abra. . .

Ladd was such a wonderful guy! He really tried to keep me on pace, but realized when to quit trying, he tried to get me to follow him into the medical tent at 25, but I was finishing!

Just to let you know, I am sane, I would have gone to the medical tent at 20 if I hadn't been with Ladd, I only continued on because I knew he was there. Final Time 4:40 (mile 20 split was 3:18)
There were 4 Medina County Road Runners at the Nashville Marathon: Lisa Grafton - 1st Full 5:19, Charles Elkins - 1/2 marathon - 2:03, everyone struggled!

3 comments:

Dan D. said...

That's too hot! Running here on Saturday was tough, but I got to stop at 20. Nice job finishing the race! Sometimes we need to ask ourselves if it's worth it. The answer to that isn't something someone else can tell us. It really must have been worth it to you. Congratulations on finishing a difficult run! I wonder how many people did not finish?

joe said...

I tried doing a 15 mile pace run on Sunday. Made it 5 miles then had to shut it down. I don't know how you made it through 26.2. Great job.
Weather is a variable we can't control.

Dan Horvath said...

Wow! What a great story. I know how it is - you train and train for a single day, and then you get awful weather like that. You did well to finish, but it's good that you were willing to drop out had you had it worse. I'm happy that you're ok.